Exit Planning Boot Camp – Greenbelt
October 10 @ 8:00 am - 12:00 pm EDT -
The notion that business owners don’t want to talk about their exit or ownership transition is outdated and misguided. In our experience, once owners start to consider what’s next in terms of business ownership they become increasingly engaged. But they are also frustrated by many areas of concern: their estate, their financial plan, how company value plays into a successful retirement, legal questions, etc. Exit Planning Boot Camp helps owners understand the linkages between all these verticals, and what it takes to transition ownership – not just the M&A deal, but all the moving pieces.
The Exit Planning Boot Camp is a half-day, seminar-style event that addresses business owners’ areas of concern as they approach an ownership transition.
Arrival / Check-in / Networking -
7:30 am - 8:00 am
Getting Your Exit Right -
8:00 am - 9:00 am
Most companies aren’t sellable – at least not on terms that an owner would like. It doesn’t have to be that way, but it does take both time and effort to get it right. In this session we’ll talk about the process that is required for setting a company (and an entrepreneur) up for success In this session we’ll review:
- Common failure points, and why only 20% of companies successfully sell
- How potential buyers size up a company
- What makes a company Attractive to the market
- How readiness (or lack there of) impacts value
- The Exit Planning Process
Financial Planning -
9:00 am - 10:00 am
- Understand the need and process for pre-sale financial planning
- Determine if a sale meets your cash flow needs
- Learn about tax and gifting strategies that can improve post-tax proceeds and minimize tax burden
Basics of Business Valuation -
10:00 am - 11:00 am
It’s easy to think that “value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it.” The real concern, though, is how to actually make an asset more valuable. In this session will cover the basics of how business is are valued, how price is negotiated with buyers, and how an understanding of value underpins successful financial planning.
- How is value calculated?
- How can an entrepreneur focus on creating enterprise value?
- How does valuation underpin your financial plan?
Selling your Government Contracting Business or Expanding Your Company Through Acquisition: M&A for Government Contractors -
11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Most entrepreneurs only consider growing their business through business development, but what if you could grow your business exponentially through mergers and acquisitions? Or perhaps you’ve successfully grown your company and are now looking for an exit event. This panel will provide you with the basics of M&A, including what to expect in an M&A transaction, how to prepare for exit, common pitfalls for government contractors and other legal considerations.
Learning objectives include:
- Gaining past performance through strategic acquisition
- Strategic growth through business combinations
- How to prepare your business or a division for potential sale
- Structuring considerations in GovCon M&A transactions