Exit Planning Boot Camp
March 19 @ 8:00 am - 12:00 pm EDT
The notion that business owners don’t want to talk about their exit or ownership transition is outdated and misguided. In our experience, once owners start to consider what’s next in terms of business ownership they become increasingly engaged. But they are also frustrated by many areas of concern: their estate, their financial plan, how company value plays into a successful retirement, legal questions, etc. Exit Planning Boot Camp helps owners understand the linkages between all these verticals, and what it takes to transition ownership – not just the M&A deal, but all the moving pieces.
The Exit Planning Boot Camp is a half-day, seminar-style event that addresses business owners’ areas of concern as they approach an ownership transition.
Open Networking -
8:00 am - 9:00 am
Mix and mingle with a great crowd!
Financial Planning Considerations When Selling Your Business -
9:00 am - 10:00 am
Financial planning for business owners is not the same as planning for the average employee. Surveys show that for most business owners, their operating company is the single largest component of their personal wealth. At the same time, studies show that most owners have not undertaken a comprehensive financial planning process that provides personal meaning to their exit proceeds and helps them strategize about life and achieving their goals after the sale.
- Identify the four key financial planning areas on which business owners ought to focus.
- Demonstrate how a holistic financial plan allows the business owner to translate the value of their business into financial flexibility.
- Help guide the business owner through the sale process using appropriate tax, estate and charitable planning techniques to achieve value.
Understanding Exit Options -
10:00 am - 11:00 am
Not all exits are created equal. We often discuss how “value is in the eye of the beholder” – and that couldn’t be more true when it comes time to transition out of company ownership. Exit options range from the traditional sale to a third party, a sale to management, or transfer to children. But each option not only carries different likely deal proceeds, but also different benefits and risks to exiting shareholders. By understanding the pros and cons of all exit options, owners can plan for the scenario that fits them best.
- Identify the eight exit options
- Understand the relative economic differences between each exit option
- Understand how certain options create a higher degree of risk for an exiting owner
- Discuss how personal wishes regarding management, employees, and family may impact exit options
The M&A Process -
11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Most owners rely on a sale to a third party to fund their retirement objectives. But statistics show that most owners are under prepared to undertake what will likely be the largest business deal of their lives. In this session we discuss the ins and outs of an M&A transaction and help get owners up to speed on what to expect.
- Understand the long range timeline and milestones for approaching M&A
- Review the importance of “pre-diligence” and deal prep
- Understand the differences between a business broker, an M&A intermediary, and an investment banker
- Learn the pros and cons of hiring a banker
- Understand the time it takes to sell a company
- Examine how “running a process” works